3 large sweet potatoes, washed but unpeeled, chopped into 1/2 inch slices
1 large apple, washed but unpeeled, chopped into bite size pieces (I used gala)
1-2 Tbls Cinnamon (depends on your love - or tolerance - of cinnamon)
1/2 cup chopped raw almonds
1. Put the sweet potatoes, then apples into the crock-pot.
2. Top with cinnamon and almonds
3. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. (I cooked it overnight and ate this for breakfast)
4. Before serving, mix around a bit to coat the sweet potatoes with the apple pieces (now apple sauce), cinnamon and almonds.
Almond Butter Sauce
This can be prepared at any time and stored for at least a week in the fridge. Just heat and eat!
1 Cup roasted almonds
1 Tbls coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1-3 Tbls coconut milk (depends on how thin you like your sauce)
1. Put only the almonds in the food processor and pulse until just starting to clump and make a butter. Times will vary for different processors.
2. Add the coconut oil, cinnamon, and coconut milk and mix until a nice sauce is made. Add coconut milk as needed to get the consistency you desire. I went with a glaze like consistency… thin, but stayed put as you poured it over the potatoes.
3. Store in a glass container in the fridge for up to a week (at least, I can't speak for longer than that since mine was gone!)
Ideas for Eating:
Serve it over Apple Pie Sweet Potatoes as a sweet breakfast or a yummy dessert!
Serve it as a dipping sauce for apples.
Serve it over pancakes* in place of syrup.
Serve it in a bowl of oatmeal or yoghurt.
*I'm eager to try this easy pancake recipe from The Kitchn. I'm especially interested in making them with a bunch of "add ons" like nuts, seeds, cacao nibs… mmm! What a dessert!
Two Ingredient Banana Pancakes