Dr. Robynne Chutkan, M.D, wrote "Gut Bliss" and is the founder of the Digestive Center for Women. She is one of the most recognizable gastroenterologists working in the US today. She has a BS from Yale and an MD from Columbia and is a faculty member at Georgetown University Hospital.
In her book, "The Microbiome Solution," she explains the science and reasoning behind her family motto: "Live Dirty, Eat Clean" and shares a game plan for incorporating it into your own life. She believes there is a rising epidemic of vague symptoms and autoimmune diseases often attributable to a damaged microbiome. She gives simple guidance to repair your vital ecosystem and bring you optimal health every day.
I'm excited to try this recipe and share it with you. Let me know how it goes and how you made it unique for you!
From: The Microbiome Solution, by Robynne Chutkan, MD
3 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen
2 capsules probiotics
Options: almond butter, peanut butter, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mango, cocoa (or raw cocao powder), pureed pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, or mint.
1. Blend the frozen banana pieces in the bowl of a food processor or a high-speed blender. Before the mixture becomes smooth, it will appear chunky.
2. Scrape down the sides, and add in any options.
3. Blend until it reaches a smooth and creamy soft-serve texture.
4. Place the "ice cream" in a bowl.
5. Break open the probiotic supplements and sprinkle it over top evenly.
6. Top with any of the options you chose but didn't blend. (like coconut flakes, fruit, nuts)
Ideas for Eating:
Consume immediately (recommended) or store in an airtight glass container in the freezer for up to 1 week.
This week, I'd like to recommend a website that I have used to shop for clothing on. It's all about the recycling or "up"cycling of gently used clothing. There are about 7 billion people in the world… think about how many articles of clothing that is! I think it's fun sharing clothes with my siblings and buying used clothing whenever I can. My sister told me about Thred Up, and now I'm passing it on!