I found the recipe on the blog "The Cookie Rookie." I love salmon. In any form. But this is unbelievably delicious. It's a really simple rub, grilled, then topped with an avocado salsa. Sounds simple, but the flavors go above and beyond your normal salmon recipe. I made extra of the rub to have on hand later… so besides letting it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling, it just became a 15 minute meal!
The next day, I tried the avocado salsa in some mini tacos filled with wild rice, roasted chicken, and sprouts. Any way you go, it's delicious!
-2 lbs salmon, cut into 4 pieces
-1 tbs olive oil (I used light extra virgin olive oil)
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp ground cumin
-1 tsp paprika powder
-1 tsp onion powder
-1/2 tsp ancho chili powder (I used regular chili powder because I didn't have ancho on hand)
-1 tsp black pepper (I ground up peppercorns)
Avocado Salsa Ingredients:
2 avocados, diced
1/2 small red onion, sliced
Juice from 2 limes (2 TBLS)
1-2 tbs finely chopped cilantro (depending on how big of a cilantro lover you are)
Salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
1. Mix the rub spices together in a bowl.
2. Rub each salmon fillet with a little oil, and the spice mix. (Use up the entire amount of the mix on the salmon fillets.)
3. Let them sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
4. While they are marinating, mix together all the avocado salsa ingredients. The avocados should be slightly harder than you would normally buy for guac. They shouldn't fall apart when you dice them into squares.
5. Cook the salmon on the grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side over medium heat. Until they have a nice crisp on the outside and they are tender and flaky on the inside.
6. Serve the salmon topped with the avocado salsa.
Ideas for Eating:
Try the salmon with watermelon and a cooling cucumber salad for a great summer meal on the grill.
Use the rub to season vegetables
Try the avocado salsa on eggs or in mini tacos.