3/4 cups wild rice blend + chicken broth to cook it in
1 Tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups 1/2″ cubed sweet potato (about 1 medium-sized sweet potato)
2 teaspoons brown sugar
4 cups packed chopped curly kale (about 1/2 bunch)
1/4 cup roasted and salted pepitasFor the Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette:
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, microplaned or finely minced
salt and pepper
1. Prepare rice according to package instructions using chicken or vegetable broth in place of water. Set aside. (Can be made ahead of time.)
2. Add ingredients for Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette in a jar with a tight fitting lid then shake to combine and set aside.
3. Fill a wok or large skillet with water then bring to a boil. Add a heavy dash of salt and kale then boil until tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain, then when kale is cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water with hands, crumble, and then set aside.
4. Turn heat down to medium-high then melt butter in skillet. Add brown sugar and sweet potatoes, season with salt, then saute until tender and caramelized, 8-10 minutes.
5. Add kale, cooked rice and Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette to the wok then toss to combine.
Ideas for Eating:
We ate this as a side dish with steak salad.
For breakfast, combine it with a couple scrambled eggs!